Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Realburgers for Real Heroes

My place of work is doing "Realburgers for Real Heroes", and yes, I know I just gave away where I worked, but I don't care because I don't do many "I hate my job" posts anymore. But the reason I am talking about my job is because of the promotion we're doing.

If you go on to this website you can nominate whoever your hero is, and they're eligible for something like $1,000 drawn every week. To promote this we have a cover that fits on the magnet of our name tag, and it says "Realburgers for Real Heroes! My Hero:" and you fill in the blank, well....Mine says "Brad Gayken, my dad." I know it's a little cheesy but it's true!

I got a little flack about it at work on Saturday...during my 13.5 hour shift... So I just want to set the record straight. No, I didn't put that my dad was my hero because of Father's Day that was Sunday, I've been wearing this name tag slip for over a month, and I didn't even realize Father's Day was coming up when I was writing his name on my tag. Would you like to know why my daddy is my hero? Here's why...

Dear Dad,

You're my hero in so many different ways, and not just because you kept me safe when I was younger, and raised me, but because you did it with pride, and a sense of accomplishment. You're my hero because you've always been there for me, whenever I needed you to be. When it was just the two of us, I remember you making me breakfast in the mornings, and watching Dinosaurs with me at night, taping every episode of Rugrats so I would have something to watch when I didn't want to go out side and play with the two puppies you got me, Bart and Lisa, or even when you saved me from the big giant rooster that attacked me because I went to swing on my swingset. How about when we used to throw Bud, our cat, into our pond and call him back over and over and over again... Or when you let me shoot the Bebe gun into the pond at the Koi Fish...It doesn't matter that I was 3 or 4 years old, we had fun, and thats all that matters. You're my hero because you took so much pride in having a daughter, that you put me in all of your Christmas commercials at work. You're my hero because when I was a teenager and lied to you about going to a school basketball game, and instead met up with boys, you made them run all the way home, even though we didn't follow them, and on top of that, I'm still alive to talk about it. You're my hero because even when you thought that Amy and I set my bedroom on fire you still didn't kill me again. You're my hero because you took other peoples children into your home when they were unwanted in their own home... You're my hero because even though it was a 20 minuit drive to youth group, and you didn't attend church, that you still made sure that my friends and I got there, even in the cold winter, we were still there. You're my hero, because even if it may have taken me asking you to go to church with me when I was very young, eventually you came around, and are now a very active member of the church. You're my hero because you got baptized, and I love the fact that I got to be a part of it. You're my hero because every time I get off that plane to come home, you're there waiting for me, and I love that you're the first face that I recognize. Daddy, I love you so very very much, no matter what you're always there for me and I appreciate that more than you could ever imagine. Thank you for everything.

Love,

KaTrina




....And that is my hero.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

This is a really beautiful letter you've written here KaTrina. Of course, it's really easy to write something beautiful when what you're writing about is so inspiring :)

Lisa Christine said...

What a beautiful tribute to your father :)

SuzanSayz said...

Good job!
To your father for being such a wonderful dad,and to you for writing about it so eloquently KaTrina.